Estrogen deficiency often causes women to experience many physiological disorders. To remedy this condition, doctors often use estrogen as an alternative hormone therapy. However it was like a double-edged. Excessive supplementation may be dangerous to the user. So how to use properly.
Estrogen plays a very important role in a woman’s life. By the age of premenopause, menopause or when the ovaries are removed, premature ovarian failure, they often have a hormone deficiency. At that time, supplementing with estrogen will help reduce psychological disorders, symptoms of instability in the skin, vasomotor, urinary – genital systems, reduce porous phenomena and bone resorption, limiting the risk of fractures and hypertension. pressure, atherosclerosis. This therapy also increases sexual performance, increases brain perfusion, reduces the risk of Alzheimer’s.
However, improper or poorly monitored replacement hormone therapy will lead to dangerous consequences such as an increased risk of endometrial hyperplasia, endometrial cancer, Breast diseases (pain, erection, cancer), hypertension, thrombosis. To be safe on estrogen supplementation, the following requirements must be observed:
Table of Contents
1. What principles should be followed when using hormone replacement therapy
– Always remember that supplementing with estrogen only helps improve the quality of life, not the method of improving aging.
– Must use estrogen continuously and in combination with progesterone at least 10 days / month (10-14 days). Should be used early right in transition (around menopause).
– When using estrogen, patients must be carefully monitored: periodic gynecological examination, necessary tests.
2. Method of using estrogen for reasonable treatment
First, the patient must be carefully examined by a specialized physician to determine whether replacement estrogen therapy is necessary. Adequate tests necessary to exclude cancer risks and estrogen contraindications must be completed.
3. Cases where estrogen is not used
– Having mothers, mothers, sisters suffering from breast cancer, cervical cancer.
– Vaginal bleeding with no known cause.
– There are tumors in the breast, uterus, cervix, ovaries.
– Pregnant or suffering from diseases of the liver, heart, cerebrovascular accident, endometriosis, diabetes, lupus erythematosus …
4. What are the forms of estrogen used?
The most common are combination pills or estrogen-only pills. There is also a gel or cream oestrogen for topical or vaginal application, an emulsion (such as a capsule) for vaginal vagina or skin patches.
Oral medications work faster, but are more toxic to the liver. It is best to use topical (including vaginal suppository, topical or patch).